Working on outdoor storage can be fun and open to experimentation because, unlike the interiors of the house, where storage is mostly enclosed. This can be an opportunity to wear your thinking caps and try something outside the box, or should I say something outside the house. Everything from the shelves to the possessions on it is out in the open, and all of this and the way it is organized can make a statement, and you can use the design language to make it 😉
Spending time in the balcony/ back yard or out on the patio are the closest we have to outdoor experience nowadays. And these outdoor experiences have become a vital part of our lives. And we all want to make this experience better for you.
We will be carefully going through basic questions like, what can the outdoor shelves be used for? What material to use? How to select the material? What is widespread, and what is not? And what are the styles that are trending in 2020? We will be diving in some tips, hacks, solutions, and anything you require to turn your outdoor experience into an astounding one and make the process of doing so, ‘more’ astounding.
It is difficult to recommend or start to think of ideas until we decide what it will be used for, so let begin with that very question itself, what can be the different uses of outdoor shelves?
- One of the viral trends right now is the trend of bringing the inside out, which is an outdoor kitchen, outdoor rooms. If that is happening, storage becomes a need.
- Then one of the other obvious use of outdoor shelves can be to put that unorganized garden equipment in place.
- Another fascinating trending concept that we highly recommend you try is the planter wall. Choose a wall in your outdoors and try vertical plantation, here you can try a broad spectrum of things that are actually “cool” like trying DIY plant pots or recycling, and can utilize a wall for a cause, plus it looks great.
- Utility shelves, these are multi-purpose shelves on which you can display some of your DIY art, place some plant pots, garden tools, or anything. The Spontaneity looks excellent, and all your knick-knacks seem to have found a place.
Let’s take a look at how we can select what material to use for outdoor shelving.
Let’s Get to the Most Fun Part, Trending Ideas for Outdoor Shelving, 2020
First of all, let me introduce you to some all-rounder ideas that are trending. We call them all-rounder because they are fundamental concepts that can be combined with any idea that comes your way.
- Starting with “jugaad,” it is a flexible way of problem-solving and making things work in what you have or can manage. This is important because the places and sizes of your outdoor vary from patios to yards. All types of shelves can e installed anywhere. It is just a matter of creatively tackling an issue.
- The reflection of Spontaneity and simplicity in design is very popular these days. You can see it everywhere, like using industrial items or scrap to give a rustic look and making it look raw. The basic idea is to make it look natural and comfortable and not worked up.
- You must have heard of minimalism, the idea of less is more. This concept always manages to look amazing because of the emphasis it creates due to visual hierarchy. Pastel shades can be being out the best of this. (Pro tip- Pastel shades in the outdoors look great, you can use them for any of the ideas given below.)
- The Classic English garden look is evergreen.
7 Best Outdoor Shelving Ideas
1. Reusing household things
It’s beautiful, eco-friendly, and cheap. Also an opportunity to bring out the creative side as it’s a DIY. Some great ideas are turning crates into shelves; after some work on an old guitar, it can be used as a shelf for little succulents, repurposed pallet shelves.
2. Pegboard Shelves
Some people find individual boards too much work, and also constant rearrangement is not possible on conventional shelves. So this option works best for these issues. It is also a good option if you want to cover your old wall. It can be used for things like frames, planters, vases, etc. Anything that can be kept in an open space can be stored here. It can handle a medium-heavy load. So consider the storage accordingly. There can be some hooks also to hang a few garden items. The last images show how this can be used for an outdoor kitchen.
3. Rope Shelves
Here is a 2020 trending idea for outdoor shelves, floating shelves with the help of ropes. There are different types of ropes you can try like jute ropes to give a rustic look, or using nylon ropes to give a real floating sense. Also, you can try eco-friendly things like belts from your house. These kinds of selves can’t take too much load, but they are aesthetically very pleasing.
4. Pipe shelves
Pipe shelves are available in two categories wall-mounted and movable. These kinds of shelves give a raw and rustic finish to your outdoors. They are available in different materials for you to choose from according to the weight you want to put on them.
5. Foldable ladder shelves
If you have a smaller space or like to make changes every little while, foldable ladder shelves may be the right choice for your home. They can be bought online or easily made at home if you have an old ladder. The last image features an old ladder with planks fixed at a few steps according to the need. It is your choice if you want to nail the board or not.
6. Shelf racks
These kinds of shelves can be bought from the market; they are best for utility as they can handle more weight and store more things. They are multi-purpose, and if you are planning for an outdoor room, such shelves should be given preference.
7. Convertible shelves
These shelves again are high for people with small space or for the ones who like to jazz up space occasionally. They are available in both types, movable and wall-mounted. A little maintenance can go a long way for such shelves.
These were some of the ideas that we think are interesting and are trending right now. The easiest way to select a particular idea is not to overthink it and understand and know what you can use the shelves best for. The material can be selected accordingly and to select what look/style to go with a look at your home and understand the essence of it whether it is the joyfulness or the sophistication and so on, and just try to portray that particular quality in the shelves simply and that indeed would be the best look which showcases the character of the house in the most eccentric manner.
The selection of the material majorly depends on five major things
- Is it strong enough to take the weight of whatever it is made for?
- Does it fit in your budget?
- Ease of installation
- Can it be installed without any hassle, considering it is outside?
- Will it last long without maintenance?
Will it give the look I need and blend enough with my interior?
Here is some material to choose from;
Economy fir plywood – This material is light and has exceptional resilience. It’s familiar and comfortable to work with. Some drawbacks are defects on the surface and flaws on the edges of the ply. It’s durable.
Pine lumber – This material looks excellent after finishing and easy to work with as it comes already cut to width. The only disadvantage is knots have to be cut.
Particleboard – It’s reliable, easy to work with, and comparatively cheap, and none of the material goes to waste. Plus, it looks great too.
MDL (Medium-density laminate) – This material is durable, attractive to look at, and easy to work with, and requires minimal maintenance.
MDF (Medium-density fiber) – Strong, light, cheap, and readily available.
Timber – Strong, natural to work with, and attractive.
Some other materials that can be used are edge laminated soft boards, bamboo, fir wood, chipboard, blockboard, and glass.
I am sure you must have seen a fancy and amazing-looking picture of a backyard with an open shelf with books on them, but I am sure any book lover would be upset just a few days into this setting. All the things that we see on the net are not practical.
Have you imagined the condition of the book on this much exposure in the open? The point is, taking inspiration from the net is a great idea, but after putting thought in, what are your needs. If you want storage to keep your books outdoor, it surely can be done, but the self will have to be customized to this need.
We hope we were able to help you, and you liked some of the ideas. So, what are you waiting for? Start shelving!