Trees are beautiful, aren’t they? But sometimes it gets necessary to remove them, especially when it breaks off due to a storm or dies on its own. Cutting down a tree is not just it; you’ve to remove the stump as well. Thankfully, there are products available in the market for the removal of tree stumps, which can be a headache sometimes.
Tree stumps are often undesirable! Who doesn’t want their garden to be in line? Stump sprouts can overgrow and can become a well-grounded tree themselves, which makes it essential to remove the stunk as soon as possible. If you’ve been there, you must know how difficult it is!
If you decide not to remove the stump, the tree might be trying to grow back from time to time again. Stump remover is a chemical product specifically designed for removing the stump by rotting it and making it porous. There are ways to kill tree stumps with home-made solutions, but there is never a guarantee that it will work. Why not choose the product that’s designed for the same purpose?
A stump killer is a chemical stump removal product made of potassium nitrate (KNO3). It works by decaying the stump rapidly in a few weeks by making it porous. After some time, the stump will be damaged enough to divide it into pieces and finally ready for the removal.
To help you get rid of this situation, we’re here! After going through every possible product and review, we bring to you the top 5 stump killers 2020.
Best Tree Stump Killers Reviewed
1. Spectracide Stump Remover Granules
This is #1 on our list! With value for money and certainly 99.5% potassium nitrate according to the MSDS, it accelerates the decomposition. Not only that, but it also doesn’t harm the vegetation near it. It is the ultimate solution for lawn conquerors. The best pocket-friendly stump remover award goes to Spectracide stump remover!
- DESTROYS STUMPS: Accelerates the rate of decomposition, making the stump porous
- USE WITH BRUSH KILLER: Before using Spectracide Stump Remover Granules, kill freshly cut stumps with a brush killer product
- EASY TO POUR: Pour granules easily into holes drilled in stump
- STUMP BURNING: Once the stump has become porous, it may be easily removed or burned -- see product label for details
- Accelerates the decomposition
- Doesn’t harm the vegetation near it
- Easy to use, mixing not required
- Time taking
- Not as effective on large stumps
- Requires a brush killer
How does it work?
Spectracide stump remover granules fasten the process of decomposition of the stump by making it porous with the presence of potassium nitrate in it. Holes around 12 inches deep are drilled in the stump, and then granules are poured inside these holes. After the stump gets porous, removing or burning it is an easy process. The duration of the decomposition process depends on a stump’s size and on how old it is; duration might range from several weeks to months.
Note: Before using Spectracide stump remover granules on freshly cut stumps, the stumps should be killed using a brush killer. The product works best in warm weather and preferably when the stump is dry.
Rating: 4 out of 5
2. Bonide Vine & Stump Killer
Designed for killing and controlling woody plants, vines, and weeds, this one comes with an applicator brush, which makes it easy to use. This one is another pocket-friendly stump killer that comes in an 8-ounce bottle in a concentrated form.
When you use the applicator brush, it not only is easy to use but also helps prevent the chemical from spreading and harming other vegetation around it; targeting the unwanted stump gets more comfortable with this brush.
- Bonide # 274 8 ounce, concentrated, vine & stump Killer
- Kills vines & stumps without harming desirable plants
- Keeps stumps from re-sprouting after cutting, effective & Economical
- Brush-top applicator makes applying easy & accurate
- This product cannot be sold or shipped into the state of Vermont
Bonide Vine & Stump Killer ensures that it does not let the stump sprouts grow again by ultimately damaging the stump to the roots, which also makes it easy to remove when the work is done!
- Easy to apply
- Doesn’t harm plants nearby
- Concentrated form, can be diluted to use more
- User friendly
- More giant tree stumps are stubborn
- Not as strong as other stump killers
Rating: 4.1 out of 5
3. Voluntary Purchasing Group Hi-Yield Stump Killer
This is another brush stump killer. The main ingredient in this stump killer is triclopyr. Triclopyr is a powerful herbicide and fungicide; it is mostly used for rotting the stumps and removal of weeds.
Keeping it simple, Hi-Yield stump killer can be used by applying the product over the trunk with a paintbrush and let the product do its work. It can be used in both ways, diluted and undiluted, but for best results, we suggest you use it undiluted. However, if diluted in correct proportions, excellent results can still be achieved.
- Triclopyr controls unwanted woody plants, vines, and poison ivy
- Great for use around homes, cabins, buildings, trails, fences and other non-crop areas
- Apply undiluted product with a paint brush to completely cover the fresh cut surface
It is a good-penny worth with obviously, plenty to use!
- Value for money
- Easy application
- Can be used for a long time by diluting
- Fast results on woody vines
- Takes longer in more massive stumps
Rating: 4.3 out of 5
4. VPG Fertilome 32295 Stump Killer
VPG Fertilome is available in a large, 32-ounce container. This one also has triclopyr as its active ingredient. VPG Fertilome is currently the leading brand.
Designed for the removal of unwanted wooded plants, weeds, and poison ivy, it will kill almost anything – one needs to be very careful while targeting the stump. If done with enough precautions, it is easy-to-do with the brush.
- Controls unwanted woody plants, vines, and poison ivy around homes, Cabins, buildings, trails, fences, and other non-crop areas
- Package Weight: 1.043 kilograms
- Vine control: cut the vine first & treat as directed For Stump treatment.
- Package Dimensions: 8.128 L x 20.828 H x 12.446 W (centimeters)
Start by simply cutting the tree and apply the solution to the surface that’s freshly cut down and exposed using a paintbrush. Not only this, but it can also be used as a spray by diluting 8-16tbsps per gallon of water; 500 square feet can be covered with the help of this spray.
Note: You’ve to be very careful while spraying as it can reach places you might not want to get damaged.
- Leading brand
- Highly rated
- Large quantity
- Slow procedure
Rating: 4.2 out of 5
5. Gordon’s Stump Killer
Gordon’s stump killer makes it to the top 5 list! The reason is, this tree stump killer does not just reach to the surface and kill it, but it goes all the way down to the root, clearing it all. If used in the right way, this product will not just stop the rotting process but also stop the re-growth of the tree stump. Every bottle has 32 ounces of stump killer in it. That is more than enough to reapply the product if it is not done yet or taking too much time.
We think that the best part about this product is that it comes in a squirt bottle, which makes it relatively easy to apply areas. Once you’re done with the drilling process, the product can be poured inside the holes so it can reach to the interior parts of the stump.
Note: Despite all the features, there’s one downfall you should be quite aware of, this product often kills nearby plants and grass, which is why one should be very careful while using it, especially in the rainy season.
- 32-ounce bottle
- Squirt nozzle, impressive design
- Prevents re-growth of the stump
- Quick results
- Complete stump removal
- Might kill the nearby grass and plants
Rating: 4.2 out of 5
Chemicals used in a stump Killer:
- Potassium Nitrate is the most basic and common chemical used in stump killers, comes in the form of granules or powder.
- Magnesium Sulfate is a combination of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen. It is used for several treatments in the garden. Magnesium sulfate is found in Epsom salts.
- Triclopyr is an organic compound that is used to control broadleaf weeds, and it usually works on woody plants.
- Glyphosate is commonly found in weed killers and is highly potent, it ends up killing the entire plantation nearby, so it must be used cautiously.
While using a chemical product, you’ve to be very careful and protect yourself from getting affected by the chemicals as some of them are of high potency and might end up causing a problem for you.
- Wear chemical-resistant gloves to avoid direct contact.
- Wear a dedicated safety goggle; eye protection is necessary!
- If you are using a powdered or granule form product, consider using a face mask.
- Long-sleeved upper and lower is a must to avoid any direct contact with the chemical product.
- Keep away from children and pets.
- Do not go bare feet; always use boots or shoes that cover your feet adequately.
- Wash your hands thoroughly or take a bath and after the work is done.
Consider the circumstances before buying any product, go through the pros and cons, and see what works the best for you!