The lifestyle of an average kid has entirely transformed over time. And the transformation hasn’t been right for the most part. With the advancement in technology, mobile computing devices have become cheaper and thus more accessible to a common man. As a result, in just about a decade, the scenario has changed from there being only one or no mobile device in a household to each person having their mobile phones. Even a 12-year old kid has one.
But apart from being an essential utility, smartphones have been affecting kids in the wrong way as well. With so much to do using just a handheld device, without having to leave your bed, kids are becoming more and more lazy and inactive. Their interest in outdoor activities is decreasing. The situation has become so alarming that it calls for immediate measures since outdoor activities are essential for the proper and healthy development of a kid.
One way to ensure that your kid goes outside regularly and does some physical activity is to teach him how to fly a kite. It might not sound like the best idea, but it is. That’s because kite flying is an easy activity to learn but rather fun when you’re doing it. Also, given the current world situation due to the Covid-19 pandemic, sports facilities have been shut down, and there isn’t much choice when it comes to activities that can be done on the limited space that most of us have in our homes.
So, if you are convinced that you should teach your little ones some kite flying and want to give them a lesson on the same, you might as well educate them on some history related to kites and kite flying. And to make your job easier, we have summarized it below. Following that, we have also included a list of some of the best kites available on the market to buy for your kid.
Brief History of Kites and Kite Flying
There is no clear documentation regarding the first invention of kites, but it is believed that kites came into existence two or three thousand years ago in or around China. The earliest written documentation that mentions flying kites includes the exploits of Chinese General Han Hsin, who used a kite to calculate the length of the tunnel he would have to build to reach a town. Upon successfully measuring the distance and building the tunnel, his troops were able to land a surprise blow on the enemy, thus making them victorious.
The art of kite flying then spread slowly along the lines of Korea, Japan, and India to finally reach the west. In Japan, kites were introduced by Buddhist monks who used to carry it to cast away evil spirits. Around the 17th – 19th-century, kites became a popular past time since people below the samurai class got permission to use them. It became so popular that the Tokyo government (then Edo) also tried to discourage its use since people were starting to spend too much time on it (much like smartphones these days), but failed.
Kites are a huge part of Indian culture as well. They were brought to India by Chinese travelers and were first used in military operations like calculating distance or signaling. In the 21st century, when there is no longer a need for kites in the military, kite flying has become an active pastime in India. But along with being a pastime, it is an integral part of Indian culture, and many festivals are celebrated by flying kites all over the country.
As soon the practical uses of kites came to an end, flying kites as a pastime was deemed to be a “child’s play.” But thanks to kite innovations in the west that eventually led to the development of modern sports parachutes and hang-gliders, kites came into the limelight again, and Asian countries started turning to their old kite heritage as well.
Today there are annual festivals all around the world that witness mass kite flying and kite dueling as well. Kite flying is also considered to be a sport in current times, and there are many kite-flying competitions held all around the world. Kites have also evolved from having just one thread connected to it, known as the single-line kite, to having 2 (dual-line kites) or even 4 (quad-line kites) points of connection. Let us look at some of the best kite-flying competitions around the world.
I am pretty sure that by now, you must be well convinced that kite flying can be a great skill to teach to your children and would be looking all over the internet for the best kite available out there. Well, worry not, we did the hard work for you. Here is a list of the 4 best kites to buy for your kid.
Best Kites for Kids 
1. A great life Rainbow Kite
- Price: $16.5
- Material: Ripstop Polyester
- Weight: 200 grams
- Dimensions(inches): 18 x 4.4 x 1.1 (package dimensions)
This kite is the best kite you can buy for your kid if he’s starting to learn kite-flying since it is made of high-quality polyesters fabric and a sturdy frame. This kite is built to last. The design of the kite is also pretty basic, which makes it easy to launch.
Also, you get a string included along with the kite. The kite is priced at $16.5, which is not cheap when it comes to a kite, but the quality of this kite makes it worth the price.
- Build Priceless Memories: A good plan to create memorable summer. Fun kites have amazed and delighted countless generations children. You know that the years of parenthood go quickly-hit the beach or park share the magic with your family and build memories that will last a lifetime while you still can.
- Develop Strength and Coordination: Learning how to launch and control it will help your youngsters develop coordination and critical thinking skills in a very practical setting. Not only that but they'll feel the thrill of success when they finally launch it.
- Leave The Video Game Console Inside: Childhood and adult obesity is epidemic due to lack of physical activities and they spend most of their time indoors staring at computer screens. Help your child to put down the controller and discover a pastime that will get them outside active and healthy.
- With Safety Certificate! Easiest To Assemble And Hold: This beginner kite is for boys , girls and adults is specially designed for simple assembly, no need for any kite kit. Manufactured with non-toxic materials comes with a kid-friendly handle and has extremely stable handling characteristics.
- Extremely Easy To Fly: Flying this huge kite particularly in light winds can require some degree of skill. This easy flyer is specially designed to be stable and not difficult to launch in any level of wind. The durable fabric body and tail will last for years. Order today and plan your first excursion for next weekend. You won't regret it-we promise.
2. LISTENMANN 2 KITES PACK
- Price: $20
- Material: Nylon
- Weight: 300 grams (whole package, including the string)
- Dimensions(inches): 17.4 x 21 x 1.22 (package dimensions)
If you want to buy good quality kites at affordable rates, then this might be a good option for you. You get a couple of kites along with two spools for $20. Also, the design of each kite is different. While one is pretty basic like the previous one, the other is shaped like an octopus.
It can be an excellent option for you if you have two or more kids, since buying kites separately for them can be a bit heavy on your pocket.
- It come with 2 pack of kite,a large rainbow kite and red mollusc octopus with long colorful tail,100 meters kite string and easy-grip handle.
- The kite are made of nylon fabric and strong and flexible fiberglass rods,easy to assemble and simple to launch.2 different pattern design,bright color and stylish appearance will be more attractive to others.
- Flying the kite in the park or on the beach take a vocation on the beach with your family to spending a pleasant and meaningful holiday,leave some precious memories..
- It will be a great gift to kids that it not only to make your children fun,enjoy them time,but also kids develop coordination and critical thinking skills in games.
- The rainbow kite is a perfect game toy for kids,teen and adult,boys and girls to outdoors activities or take on a beach trip.
3. HENGDA OCTOPUS KITE
- Price: $16
- Material: Nylon
- Weight: 130 grams
- Dimensions(inches): 157 x 31
If you do not want to buy a kite that’s basic, or maybe your kid happens to like octopuses very much, then this kite is definitely for you. This lightweight kite with too long tails looks amazingly beautiful once its high up in the sky; getting where should not be a problem thanks to the long string that comes with it.
Although making it fly can be a little tricky due to its massive size. Thus, make sure you have enough kite flying experience before buying this one.
- We designed a new Trilobite shape kite!This is entirely soft cloth material made kite, it takes only one minute to get a new kite, you take it out of the bag without assembly you can easily start playing.In the park, on the beach, just get it pointed into the wind and you're off and flying.
- Give your children the best large easy to fly the kite - Amazing with 130 Inches Long Tails!
- Flying the kite is undoubtedly an entertaining activity for both kids and adults. Use it any open area, from beaches to parks, and enjoy spending quality time with your family.
- Made in the International Kite Capital - Weifang,Shandong,China.Our company is the Weifang kite Industry Association governing units.
4. IMAGE 3D KITE
- Price: $19
- Material: Tear-proof Cloth
- Weight: 300 grams
- Dimensions(inches): 9.1 x 7.9 x 2.5
This is the most stylish kite on our list, thanks to its 3-D dolphin design. And if you think flying would be a challenge due to its 3-D model, then you’re wrong. The kite is made out of high-quality materials and a robust frame and has an aerodynamic design, which makes getting it high up in the sky extremely easy.
The kite is a bit on the higher side when it comes to the cost, but it also comes with a longer, 60m string compared to the 15m or 30m rope that comes with the others.
- ♥ Frameless soft Parafoil ♥ It is very light. Eeasy to launch and fly. It is very convenient to carry, fold and use. Remove the trouble of deforming the fiber rod. Nor will it cause injury or damage to the kite due to it breaking.
- The material is made of ♥ tear-proof cloth ♥, high quality, fine workmanship, reinforced in key areas, durable, not afraid of water. The tail and long streamers are very beautiful.
- ♥ Fly higher! ♥ Super long quality kite line (400'/60 meters)! The enhanced version is more durable and less broken. The easy-to-grip handle kite spool allows you to easily control it! They will be the perfect combination!
- ♥ Dolphin software design ♥ It is very beautiful, classic! The elaborate production gives you a very large and realistic dolphins. Large size, suitable for flying in empty areas such as beaches and grasslands. No matter where they are, people will be amazed by such a large dolphin!
- ♥ Easy to carry ♥We are so confident that you will love this fantastic kite . it's very easy to carry and get ready to have an amazing kite flying experience.
Kites Flying Competitions Around the World
Weifang International Kite Festival
Held in Weifang, China, in mid-April, this annual festival is the biggest kite festival in the world. If you are a kite enthusiast and want to see the most unique and crazy kites in the world, then this is the place to be. The festival was first held in 1984 and is being held every year since then.
The festival is a 3-day long event and has an opening and closing ceremony, which incorporates beautiful fireworks. There is also a world kite championship held during the festival along with a 10,000-person kite performance. Chinese history and culture mostly inspire the kite designs in this festival, and you can also visit a kite museum while you are at the festival.
Bali Annual Kites Festival
Another annual kites festival held in Bali, Indonesia, during July, this festival features traditional Indonesian kites. These kites can be as long as 10-meters in length and 5-meters in breadth and usually have long tails. The festival, which includes a team kite flying competition and also a 3-D kite design competition, is seen as a religious festival in Indonesia celebrated to thank the gods for the seasonal harvest.
Along with various competitions, the festival also features a gamelan orchestra that keeps the mood lively and attracts many tourists and kite enthusiasts from all around the world.
Wildwood International Kite Festival
The Willwood International Kite Festival is considered the biggest kite festival in North America and is held annually. The festival features competitions like a Stunt Kite Championship, kite-making/kite-flying workshops, night kite flying, etc. This festival is proof that kite-flying is a trendy pastime/sport not only in the east but in the west as well.